[opendtv] Television for disaster coverage

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Open DTV Forum <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 12:20:14 -0500

Happy Boxing Day!

This will be largely a rehash of things that have appeared here
previously, but I thought it might be worth reiterating them.

- OTA TV vs. cable and satellite TV - When the 9/11 attacks happened,
the TV transmission facilities on the World Trade Center were destroyed,
but, except for a very brief interruption of one of the least viewed
station's signals, cable and satellite carriage of all stations
continued.  Only WCBS-TV had a working transmitter in the Empire State
Building (same as after the first World Trade Center attack 8.5 years
earlier), so they were the only station receivable off-air via antenna.
WCBS-TV's ratings went up, and the other stations' went down, until the
other stations got back on the air.  I think the only conclusion that
can be drawn is that the increased ratings were due to off-air viewers
using antennas.

- Radio news vs. TV news -

     - Power failures - There is no question that radio is more likely
than TV to be receivable during a power failure.  There are many
battery-operated TVs and many TV-sound radios (many models of the latter
are now being sold specifically for disasters), but their numbers pale
by comparison with portable radios.  Distasters, however, are not
necessarily accompanied by power failures.  When the 9/11 attacks
occurred, almost all of the New York market continued to be served with
electric power.  The same was true of our recent transit strike and the
recent heavy northeast snowstorm.

     - News departments - Fewer than half (but not too much fewer than
half) of U.S. TV stations have news departments.  A MUCH smaller
percentage of U.S. radio stations do.  I have taken long drives across
stretches of the U.S. without being able to find any news on the car radio.

     - Destroyed transmission facilities - When a hurricane knocks down
towers or floods transmitters, the public searches for whatever they can
get.  In some cases, that might be TV rather than radio.  I have been at
my relatives' home in rural Colorado when weather has knocked out all of
the radio translators -- and phone and Internet service -- but not the
TV translator.  At those times, we watch TV to find out what's going on.

     - Pictures - TV screens can present information beyond what a
commentator says.  The projected path of a hurricane or tornado is
easily seen instantly on a map.  A list of bridge closings can be
presented as a rolling or crawling graphic.
     After 9/11, a local political candidate here in New York set up a
TV tuned to WCBS-TV outside his campaign office and placed rows of
folding chairs in front of it.  The chairs were soon filled, even though
the TV offered nothing TV viewers couldn't get at home.  I can think of
more than one possible explanation.  Maybe people sought a sense of
community.  But maybe people who normally get their news from newspapers
or radio (and didn't even own a TV) felt a need to watch TV during the
disaster.  Other than owning a TV, I am one of the latter.

Personally, I get most of my local news from the three daily and three
weekly local newspapers I read.  Secondarily, I get news from a
non-commercial radio news station, which, despite a sizable news
department, usually rehashes stories from The New York Times (and which,
after the post-transit-strike mediator-requested media blackout of the
continuing negotiations, announced that we should "stay tuned for
complete coverage of the media blackout").  Under normal circumstances,
I do not watch TV news.

That makes me an anomalous American.  Most Americans prefer to get their
local news via TV  -- even Americans who prefer to get national and
international news via the Internet, newspapers, or other sources.  But
when disasters happen even I turn to TV.

Disasters are not normal circumstances.  Neither are elections.  I tune
to some form of TV (sometimes our local cable-news channel, NY1) to
watch the results at the bottom of the screen.  I can quickly discover
the results I want to know about long before radio commentators get to
them (IF they ever bother to cover a local state-assembly or
city-council district race).

Sorry for the rehash, but it seemed necessary in view of recent posts.

TTFN,
Mark