[opendtv] Re: Ted Turner on Media Consolidation

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:33:20 -0800

I spend my days doing much the same: attempting to make sense of MPEG-2
private data and generating it, by interfacing to legacy and future MPEG-2
control, automation and traffic systems.  Just last night, I found a
one-character "bug" in my code that prevented PIDs from being correct in my
code. (Due to hard drive crashes, this was the third, and presumably the
last time I will have to correct the bug.

I did not mean to imply that you were responsible for Comcast being a big
content aggregator, although I'm certain that you haven't held back those
efforts.

I try to not get lost in the small details and miss the big picture.

I'm not against big conglomerates per se; I to am concerned about media
concentration, but I don't know how to prevent it, absent a new economic and
political system being imposed in the U.S.; but that's something that I
would have strong opposition to.

I have signed more than a few non-disclosure agreements; however, few that
impact any discussions here, with the caveat that when they do, I mention
it.

By the way, Ted Turner has been loudly complaining about media
concentration -- to my ears -- since 1977 or so.  Subsequently, he became
the world's most prolific multicaster.  What he said 25 or more years ago,
for those of us with a sense of history and continuity, obviates his
rantings now.  Just because he says something, doesn't make it true:  he
lied to multiple wives about future and current girlfriends.

Were I to look for a public figure whose practice and criticisms of media
size and prerogatives are rational and relevant, I would talk of C-SPAN's
Brian Lamb.  But, not his on-air stuff.  He created C-SPAN because he
thought the networks were dumbing down the electorate.  Only more so these
days.  Of-air, his addresses are blistering attacks on the size and content
that media firms direct at us.  And, unlike Turner, his network's content is
not much of the same as the stuff he criticizes.

Let's remember back when turner created his own wrestling league just
because he didn't like dealing with the arrogant a*****e behind WWF/WCW.
That must be the bigness that most worries him, because Time Warner shut
down his wrestling "league."