[opendtv] Re: Tech Advisors Tell FCC to Launch Local Broadband Deployment Competition

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:12:29 -0500

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2010/07/obama-announces-rural-internet-expansion/1

> If this is instead turning into a way for new providers to break into the
> profitable urban and suburban markets, then there are backroom buddy deals
> being struck at the FCC.

While I wouldn't begin to dismiss your last suggestion, I think there is a more
pressing issue for the FCC and the White House.

A few months ago, in an FCC report that talked about broadband access and use,
and the digital divide, one of the statistics mentioned was that among
minorities, wireless broadband through smartphones was used a lot more than the
more traditional fixed broadband. Commissioner Clyburn even stressed this
point, when she wrote a comment to the report.

Ergo, wireless broadband is a must, to reduce or remove the digital divide.
Remember that Chairman Genachowski keeps repeating that broadband works to
"unleash" innovation and just about everything else.

So, providing an increasing amount of wireless broadband in urban areas becomes
the tough nut to crack.