[opendtv] Re: Targeted TV Advertising Catches Interest

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:36:32 -0700

One splicer per home?

From: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of GerryK
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 10:42 AM
To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [opendtv] Re: Targeted TV Advertising Catches Interest

For wired digital television services, such as
digital Cable TV and upcoming IP-TV services,
it is possible to "splice" specific advertising streams into
any program stream, and do it in the neighborhood node.

Scopus, BigBand Networks, Terayon, TANDBERG Television,
Optibase, Harmonic and Pinnacle Systems all make MPEG-2
video routers that can "splice" ads in in real time, at the
final point of departure before a stream travels to a set top box.

The set top box doesn't have to be that smart, as long as the
IP router that feeds it knows ahead of time which ad to insert for
each box -

Microsoft's IP-TV system, and the Video Networks, Inc. (VNI)
services shown at the IBC show in Amsterdam can all provide
customer-specific video streams to each set top box
using equipment from the aforementioned list.

Terayon has even demonstrated the ability to insert HDTV ads into
HDTV streams, in real time, in the MPEG Transport Stream domain.

so, in about 12 months, some set top boxes will be able to get
very specific, high-targeted ads, because the infrastructure is
capable of doing the ad insertion in real time, in the transport stream
domain.

Gerry Kaufhold with In-Stat/MDR
Headquarters: Scottsdale, AZ

voice: USA 520 363-9752