[opendtv] Re: Targeted TV Advertising Catches Interest

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> > why should a customer agree to have this spam
> > bait installed in an FTA set?
>
> You answered your own question Bert. It is no
> more difficult to "program" a digital TV or STB
> with the required localization info than it is
> to set up a profile in a web browser.

I think you missed my real question, Craig.

I understand how easy it could be, in principle,
for a FTA TV buyer to enter this info. My real
question was why any sane person would do so.

Cable and DBS companies have you by the you know
whats. Being a subscription service, they
control how you demod their signal. So they can
easily make a way of identifying the household's
location or demographics mandatory.

Point being, we should all, by now, have become
acutely sensitized to the realities of giving out
personal info. It's one good way of getting
spammed to death. If I buy a toaster or a
microwave oven, I sure as heck don't expect to
have to tell them my hobbies, my home address,
and my social security number, just to get the
appliance activated. That's the point I was
trying to make.