[opendtv] Re: Spectrum Repacking Looms for TV Broadcasters

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 15:45:44 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> Heh. Tell that to the folks who need to buy DVB-T2 STBs just
>> to watch HDTV!!
>
> Nobody ever told these folks that they would get HDTV via DVB-T.

You simply missed the irony, Craig. When John said that future changes in
transmission mode would not obsolete anything, he forgot to protect himself
against this irony. The one system that has already had to upgrade the
transmission standard is the one that was never supposed to be obsoleted.

What I personally like about DVB-T2 is that it does effectively address the
shortcomings of DVB-T, some of which 8-VSB never had. Specifically, it reduces
the peak to average ratio issue, it improves the error correction (improving
spectral efficency at a given S/N margin), it introduces "inner interleaving"
in terrestrial mode, and it tilts the constellation, so that all valid
locations now have a real and imaginary component (somewhat reminiscent of the
2nd gen ATSC receivers going to complex demods). And also, it does make COFDM
more SFN friendly, as opposed to SFNs being an afterthought. Something 8-VSB is
certainly "challenged" with.

> They were given VERY AFFORDABLE DTV receiver boxes that have
> served their purpose well.

So were the ATSC STBs very affordable, once the CE vendors quit the freeze on
them. All of the noise about affordabilty and power requirements was just that
-- noise. The problems we had here getting these blasted boxes had nothing to
do with the standard and everything to do with "business models." If 65-75
percent of our population insisted on FOTA TV, as is the case in other
countries, you can bet that the 5th gen boxes and the sub $50 boxes would have
been available here in 2003, or earlier, as well. Don't forget how many years
it took before the newest chips were offered in STBs. Don't forget LG's
position wrt their 5th gen chip and its use in STBs.

> Now that HD is a viable industry Euro consumers have the option
> to buy new displays and receivers that are still backward compatible
> with the DVB-T system.

What? There is nothing backward compatible about DVB-T2 that wouldn't also be
backward compatible if we introduced DVB-T2 here. The point is, we got our HD
from the start, without needing an upgrade to introduce three or four HD
channels. It's beyond me how that is construed as being a bad thing.