[opendtv] Re: Spectrum Repacking Looms for TV Broadcasters

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 21:03:48 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

But the proposal included the willingness to reduce ERP, in order to fit within the FCC planning factors. So to me, the user, it would have meant either more difficult reception or, more likely, lower spectral efficiency, as the broadcasters dialed back to a higher FEC or to 16-QAM, to compensate for the power deficit. (Remember that my "antenna farm" is at ground level inside the fireplace. I love it being in there.)

I don't recall any reduction in ERP proposed. I do recall you constantly pounding that broadcasters would have to build larger transmitters in order to transmit the higher peak to average ratio of COFDM vs. VSB for equal ERP.

John