[opendtv] Re: Spectrum License Fee Structure Proposed

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 12:29:42 -0500

There are two reasons for a tax. One is to generate revenue. The other is to regulate, encourage, or discourage behavior.

Since the revenues bandied about in this article are on the order of $50-55 million per year, that is not very much compared to the one trillion dollar budget deficit we are now facing, and is probably not the reason for this tax proposal. Therefore, the second reason for a tax as listed above must be involved.

I believe, and this is only my personal opinion so my apologies in advice if they are inappropriate or offensive to those on this list, that step one is establishing these license fees on broadcast radio and television, then step two is to waive or reduce such fees for licensees who would increase the diversity of the ownership ranks.

One way to shut down right wing talk radio, for example, would be to somehow transfer radio station ownership to people who might be more progressive politically, and have a natural tendency to shy away from conservative programming. Do that, and you don't need a 'fairness doctrine' or other potentially overturnable law established.

Imposing a spectrum tax on an already marginally failing radio station would encourage the sale of the property by the distressed owner. Waiving or reducing the spectrum tax on a minority owned radio station on the grounds of increasing ownership diversity would put such a prospective minority owner at an economic advantage over a corporate group or non-minority buyer.

Nothing said here should be construed in any way, shape, or form to racially motivated on my part.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>