[opendtv] Re: Spectrum Crisis is 'Science Fiction,' NAB's Study Concludes

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 08:59:41 -0400

On 4/27/2011 7:36 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
This paper clearly identifies a range of technology solutions that the telcos can use to improve the efficiency of their networks.

What is interesting is that there is not a word about what broadcasters can do to use THEIR spectrum more efficiently.

I think Craig correctly uses the term "their networks" to describe the telcos. No one expects, say, a CDMA phone to work on a GSM network.

When it comes to broadcasting, however, broadcasters don't have control over "their" spectrum; there are hundreds of millions of TV sets in consumer homes that are supposed to work with what gets broadcast. Some of those consumers were recently forced to either change TVs or get "adaptors" for them; are they now to do so again for some new mandated efficiency?

FYI, I'm a cable subscriber, so I usually don't use OTA TV, but when a cable outage or dispute with a broadcaster removes service I want to see, even I connect an antenna.

TTFN,
Mark