[opendtv] Re: Specs for coupon program-compliant STBs

Frank Eory wrote:

> Sounds similar to the idea of a food manufacturer developing
> a new line of "haute cuisine" targeted at consumers who pay
> with food stamps. On second thought, SD-only video and
> stereo-only audio with no recorder isn't exactly the DTV
> version of "haute cuisine," now is it?
>
> Good luck with that business model. I look forward to seeing
> how this pans out in the marketplace. Can you say "government
> cheese?"

Not really haute cuisine. More like healthy food handouts for those on
food stamps.

I think the business model is already in place. It's the "NTSC
franchise" Craig keeps talking about, which will become at the very
least, i.e. even with zero broadcaster innovative thinking, an "ATSC
franchise." Used exclusively by about 15 percent of households, after
analog shutoff, and used by a total of perhaps 35 percent of households.
If broadcasters add interesting multicasts, maybe better. Maybe more
people will add ATSC to their cable/DBS system, for example.

With 5th generation receiver performance, and NTSC off the air, I would
be surprised if ATSC could not beat NTSC for acceptable reception. As I
already indicated, in my case, even the upstairs set with rabbit ears,
this is already true now, with 3rd gen receivers. We can watch stations
that were either too poor or totally absent, in analog.