[opendtv] Re: Sony, six cable companies adopt two-way CableCARD tech

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 21:37:37 -0400

Adam Goldberg wrote:

> The DCR+ proponents argue that it should be possible to
> build a TV which does the above, and it should be possible
> to build an OCAP TV and it should be possible to build a
> TV which does both (depending on what the consumer
> wants).  If the cable operators, via OCAP, are able to
> provide a compelling experience, consumers will buy
> OCAP TVs or rent OCAP STBs.

> Which is better for consumers?  Competition between
> content access environment, with the free market driving
> the experience better and better ... or a cable-controlled,
> content-segmented, completely undifferentiated experience?

Adam, I gather you are objecting to the details of what is DCR+ vs. OCAP, not
to the notion of CE vendors and cable companies agreeing with one another in a
unified way, right?

I think Bill's point was that the pursuit of DCR+ was doing nothing to get a
unified cable agreement in place with CE companies. Whereas as soon as Sony got
behind OCAP, that hurdle could be breached. An agreement with all cable
companies would be a prerequisite to the consumer nirvana you propose, no?

From what's in the article, this Sony agreement with all the cable companies
should not preclude Sony from also going after its own Internet/home-recording
EPG ideas, now or in the future. As far as I can tell.