[opendtv] Re: Sony, six cable companies adopt two-way CableCARD tech

  • From: "Adam Goldberg" <adam_g@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 10:05:53 -0400

> Sony's support is key because they had been leading a counter-OCAP
> effort called DCR+, which was simply the latest flavor of Microsoft's
> decade-old attempts to keep Java out of the living room by focusing on
> protocols rather than API's.  With Sony onboard tru2way (and Tivo and

Bill,

DCR+ is not an attempt to keep OCAP out of the living room (or put protocols
in), nor is it a Microsoft idea, nor was it particularly supported by
Microsoft.

The problem with OCAP, for a TV manufacturer, in a world where a consumer
has many different sources of content available to them (even when they
subscribe to Cable), is that in order to have access to the whole range of
cable content, the cable operators (via OCAP, licenses, etc)
>>--prohibit--<< any additions to that content/environment.  Furthermore, if
you put masking tape over the brand name on the bezel, and connect 10
different OCAP sets to cable, you won't be able to tell the difference
between them - they'll all look and act 100% the same.

It is not possible to have a guide/etc which gives, on one screen (or even
in one 'mode'), access to cable linear, SDV, VOD, and PPV --and also--
YouTube, iTunes video, stuff recorded on another device on your home
network, Hulu, etc etc etc.  Yes, it's possible to do everything BUT cable
in one 'mode', and everything cable in a cable mode', but that's a
bastardized half solution.

The DCR+ proponents argue that it should be possible to build a TV which
does the above, and it should be possible to build an OCAP TV and it should
be possible to build a TV which does both (depending on what the consumer
wants).  If the cable operators, via OCAP, are able to provide a compelling
experience, consumers will buy OCAP TVs or rent OCAP STBs.  If CE
manufacturers are able to provide a compelling experience (which possibly
makes disparate content sources available in a convenient way), then
consumers will buy those sets.  If both, then both.

Which is better for consumers?  Competition between content access
environment, with the free market driving the experience better and better
... or a cable-controlled, content-segmented, completely undifferentiated
experience?

Should consumers only have choices between Comcast/Comcast UI,
DirecTV/directv ui, Dish/dishui, Fios/VZ ui?  Or should consumers have
choices between (Comcast, DirecTV, Dish, Fios) * (Panasonic, Sony, Pioneer,
LG, Samsung, Tivo, Sharp, etc. etc. etc).  Should there be only competition
between vertical services (and none horizontally)?  Or should there be
vertical and horizontal competition?

What's better?