[opendtv] Re: Sony, six cable companies adopt two-way CableCARD tech

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 18:06:28 -0400

Bill Sheppard wrote:

> Finally, what is now essentially a unifed CE voice (without
> the distraction of DCR+) may well provide the focus required
> to gain DirecTV, Dish, AT&T, and Verizon's support of a
> common OCAP-ish platform. Which, having spent the last
> eleven years at Sun in pursuit of this goal, would delight me
> to no end!

Yes, that "unified CE voice" was essentially what the article I quoted
was trying to get across, which is why I posted it. This is why the Sony
announcement is different from previous two-way CableCard agreements.

Others must have missed it, but here is the text from the article:

"The agreement will be expanded to other consumer electronics makers who
want to sign on. While companies like Panasonic have previously
announced support for tru2way, that deal was only between Panasonic and
Comcast. Getting Cox, Time Warner, Comcast, Charter, Cablevision, and
Bright House onboard should go a long way toward making tru2way a
plug-and-play national standard for digital television."

So again, what Michael Powell was after was a scheme whereby the
built-in ATSC receivers mandated by the FCC would be integrated with
built-in two-way cable receivers that the FCC would NOT mandate, but
that CE vendors and cable companies would voluntarily adopt. That way,
no one gets cheated.

I have to believe that DBS is next.

Whether CE vendors ALSO eventually incorporate an IP interface is, of
course, entirely up to them, and them alone. No reason to assume that
these cable agreements preclude the IP connection.