[opendtv] Re: Sony U.S execs: Expect a robust holiday season

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:44:07 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> Judging from reports on AVS the government has managed
> only very grudging cooperation from cable companies so
> far on 1-way cable cards. The darn things cost as much
> monthly as an STB and tend not to work very reliably.

I'm not surprised that the umbillical service providers
are dragging their feet, or making these things
deliberately unappealing economically. But that's just it.
We can't confuse the self-interest of the service provider,
which is to make each subscriber as dependent as possible,
with what's "best for the consumer."

In my view, the FCC mandate combined with cable agreement,
are definitely what's best for the consumer. And I see
this evolving to other interfaces too, like IPTV.

By the way, I saw two interesting news items yesterday.
Scientific Atlantic being bought by Cisco, how about that,
and Microsoft building in IPTV interface software, how
about that?

Speaking of "trends," what do those two news items say
about the future of stand-alone STBs?

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The most interesting thing about this is that each time
> the government lets the public have a little spectrum, a
> large competitive industry seems to spring up, especially
> when the application appeals to a large audience, like
> wireless phone instruments and Wi-Fi.

I don't see anything surprising about businesses springing
up wherever an opportunity arises. Whether the spectrum in
question is public or whether they have to pay rent for it.