[opendtv] Re: Sony U.S execs: Expect a robust holiday season

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:27:23 -0500

At 9:34 PM -0500 11/21/05, Bob Miller wrote:
>Skype
>
>At least free in the same sense as OTA TV is free. Yes you have to have
>broadband but if you have it Skype is a free additional service.

The Internet does not use the public spectrum. In general you need
either a telephone to use a modem, or a broadband connection.

Before someone jumps in and says: "What about Wi-Fi," let me add...

We have a few examples of unlicensed spectrum that is used by the
public for "free services."

Wireless telephones that are connected to wireline services.
CB Radios
Amature radio bands
WiFi networks connected to broadband services

The most interesting thing about this is that each time the
government lets the public have a little spectrum, a large
competitive industry seems to spring up, especially when the
application appeals to a large audience, like wireless phone
instruments and Wi-Fi.

And then there is the reality that when the government props up
oligopolies and monopolies, the marketplace tends to support end runs
around the toll booths.