[opendtv] Re: Sony U.S execs: Expect a robust holiday season

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:44:07 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

> > CE manufacturers, in collusion with umbillical TV service
> > providers, are using the analog cutoff as the means to
> > force everyone into all-new, non-standard systems and
> > subscription TV.
>
> BINGO!

Thanks for providing a morning grin, Dale.

But you gotta wonder. For example, when I bought my LCD TV
about a year ago, the only way I knew that it has a built-in
NTSC tuner is that I shoved around the floor sample until I
saw the coax connector. Neither the description of the set
nor the salesman could say whether this thing could receive
any sort of OTA signal.

Similarly, you have to look real hard, and sometimes it's
still not clear, whether DVD recorders have any sort of
built-in tuner. The description on the box seems to devalue
that feature. You'd think people only buy these things to
transfer VHS to DVD.

My question is, what do CE vendors, en masse as far as I can
tell, have to gain by making the obvious obscure?