[opendtv] Re: Some results - 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 11:55:33 -0400

Mark,

Do you have an explanation as to why uncompressed 1080p50, downconverted to uncompressed 1080i25, then upconverted back to 1080p50 again at the display was preferred over 1080p50>720p50>1080p50?

Was there perhaps a Nyquist filtering added at the 1080i conversion stage that killed resolution for the subsequent upconvert?

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Schubin" <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I attended the demo at IBC, and I can confirm the results.

Again, I must emphasize, however, that all three signals were derived from the same 1080p camera. If you don't do that, then there is a significant sharpness advantage to 1080i acquisition over 720p acquisition.

TTFN,
Mark