[opendtv] Re: Some results - 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 12:48:01 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>  From time to time, I move the couch closer - to about 5 picture
> heights. But for some reason it keeps moving backwards. I suspect my wife.

There many strange forces in the universe striving for a natural balance in the order of things.

For instance, these days most prime time TV in in HDTV and looks better at a closer seating distance. However daytime TV is mostly in SDTV and may not look very good close up.

You can imagine this creates a sort of 'strange attractor' tidal force, dragging furniture closer to the TV during the evening but pushing it back again during the day time. After a couple year you may be able to see the traces of this on some carpet. Eventually some children may grow up with the ability to tell what time of day it is by looking at the couch. Scientist will publish papers showing that TV display emmissions do not have the power to push furniture but noone will believe them.

For continued domestic bliss you should not attempt to epoxy your couch in place. ;-)

- Tom

At 1:09 PM -0400 5/17/07, Tom Barry wrote:

1080p displays are becoming the standard anyway. But in addition to hiding the raster there are also now some hidef DVD's (say King Kong) that can deliver 1080p/24 that may even justify that resolution for things other than hiding the raster.

It is already possible to deliver content at 1080@24P. We don't need to change a thing.

The debate is whether we need 1080@60 as an emission format.

Craig - you've had your DLP TV for awhile now. Have you moved your couch closer yet? ;-)

As of this morning the screen is 164 inches from the couch. The screen height is 24.5 inches, which means the viewing distance is 6.69 picture heights.

From time to time, I move the couch closer - to about 5 picture heights. But for some reason it keeps moving backwards. I suspect my wife.

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx