[opendtv] Re: Some results - 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 18:17:15 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Second, for high action, 720@60P is superior to higher resolution
> formats due to the improved encoding for emission. This DOES NOT
> mean that the acquisition system should be limited to 1280 x 720
> - it means that it is beneficial to oversample in the camera to
> produce the highest quality 720P possible to feed to the emission
> encoder.

But that is a matter of channel bandwidth, codec algorithm, and CPU
processing power. So an improvement in the codec and in processing power
will change the equation completely, even without changing the RF
standards. ATSC and DVB-T can both be updated, since both are layered
protocol standards. Changing the RF channels is much more difficult.

> I am amazed that so many people think we need to move to 1080@60P,
> just because a handful of cameras now exist to acquire it.

I'd test it out and see. This can be done immediately, within the
existing standards, using either 1080 at 30p or 24p, and then everyone
can make an informed decision. I think we'll see that at screen sizes
that will become more common, say above 42", the difference will be
perceptible. So you move to whatever is available at a reasonable price,
and fits in the bandwidth the broadcaster wants to dedicate to the
program.

> How are we going to increase the bandwidth of the entire chain
> Bert?

Don't need to. The bandwidth is already there in many modes. You can
transmit your American Idol or Survivor in full 1080 at 24p today, for
example. Or in theory, but probably not well in practice yet, you can
transmit 1080 at 60p using H.264 compression even inside a 20 Mb/s
channel. In time, as H.264 is tweaked more or even replaced by something
better, that would be a credible transmission mode.

> Our DTV standard was designed to deliver TV to the masses, NOT to
> videophiles. One can make a very strong argument that we do not
> even need HDTV to deliver high quality images to the AVERAGE sized
> consumer display.

Consumer sized displays are big these days. Like FM radio, the
transmission channel is used by a wide spectrum of receivers, from the
cheapest to the most elaborate in-home and in-car hifi systems.

It's a bell curve. You want to grab listeners and viewers to include the
portion of the curve that tails off to the right. And that right side
keeps moving further to the right. What seemed unnecessary in the 1990s,
when DVB-T opposed HDTV altogether, is no longer unnecessary. This will
probably happen within the HDTV modes in the near future, as everything
goes upscale.

I think lots of people staunchly opposed HDTV in the early days of ATSC,
using arguments on screen sizes and costs. No one "needs" HDTV, was the
mantra. But that was proven false. Screens of 50" or greater won't be so
rare anymore. I viewed a DVD on a 108" screen at a video store, and was
amazed to see it truly doesn't look so hot. It was a rather dramatic
demonstration of why we need HD DVDs (generically speaking). So, stuff
changes.