[opendtv] Re: Some results - 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 11:15:35 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> If possible, it seems to me that doing everything except emission
>> encoding at 1080p/60 is a bit more future proof. I'd wager many
>> folks will be glad or sad some day based upon whether they have
>> final product archived in 1080p/60 or higher.
>
> This is comparable to saying that we should use 192kHz sampling
> for telephone conversations.

It's like saying, back when, that TV shows should be archived at least
in a 35mm film format, if at all possible, instead of 16mm or NTSC
tapes. It's like arguing that audio masters for CDs should be archived
at something better than the 44.1/16 CD standard. Yes, 192/24 is not a
bad choice. Even for archived telephone records. No telling what kind of
fancy audio processing one might want to do on those recordings in the
future.

I've seen reruns of the original Star Trek series, and the images are
very nice. Sharp, good color, they look up to date. The audio, instead,
is awful. They used the correct logic in archiving the images, but
really missed the boat when it came to sound. If anything, that example
would argue that TV shows should be archived in formats even greater
than 1080p, e.g. digital cinema.

Besides which, with the prices of 1080p displays falling rapidly,
there's no reason at all to get stuck on 720p for archiving or
acquisition. What's the point?

> Bottom line, let's stop this endless pursuit of ever higher
> numbers, and focus on ever higher delivered image quality.

The numbers are not ever higher. They are the upper bound of HDTV.
That's where everything will converge, simply because that's how HDTV
was standardized.

But while we're at it, a good test would be to compare, on a new 1080p
display that can sync up to 1080 at 24p, a 1080 at 24p transmission of
material acquired at 1080 at 24p against a 720 at 24p transmission of
material acquired at 720 at 24p. Since these are already both standard
formats for acquisition and for transmission, that should be a doable
do. Oversampling might be a good thing, but increasing the bandwidth of
the entire chain is even better.

With that info in hand, one should be able to see whether it makes sense
to pursue 1080 at 60p transmission.