[opendtv] Re: Some results - 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 07:23:05 -0400

I was NOT arguing for a single common image resolution or format. You might even remember that I have sometimes suggested on this list that codecs themselves continuously vary the resolution based upon bit rate budgets. The idea of a single resolution is (should be) obsolete even within a single transmission. But most codecs don't gracefully handle this idea yet.

I was also not arguing for a higher (1920x1080p) emission format. That is still not practical for most bit budgets except highdef discs. If we must use 1080i emission due to some standard then 1440x1080i is better (like BBC). And 720p is probably better yet for this once good oversampling (1080p+) cameras and equipment are available.

What I was suggesting was simply a high resolution archive format such that many different future uses of the video may be re-encoded from a good 'master'. What comes to mind is the TV shows of the early nineties or whenever that were shot in interlaced video and are fairly worthless now for highdef purposes. We have to keep in mind the syndication and re-use value of anything expensively shot now and plan for the display and distribution technology of tomorrow. We can afford the cost of the storage to do this, in multiple distributed copies.

- Tom

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 11:46 PM -0400 5/11/07, Tom Barry wrote:

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

 Don;t worry about 1080@60P. Over time you will get some gear that will
 support it. It will probably be easier to resample to 720@60P for
production, although it WILL be possible to edit in 1080@60P then encode
 at 720P.

If possible, it seems to me that doing everything except emission encoding at 1080p/60 is a bit more future proof. I'd wager many folks will be glad or sad some day based upon whether they have final product archived in 1080p/60 or higher.

This is comparable to saying that we should use 192kHz sampling for telephone conversations.

This notion that we should be striving for a common image format for everything is absurd. Applications should determine the level of resolution that is needed for acquisition and production.

Furthermore, we have barely begun to scratch the surface of what is possible with these HD formats. Consider how much NTSC image quality improved over six decades it has been in use.

We were able to achieve these improvements through the use of oversampling and careful processing of the acquired images. The introduction of HD acquisition gear has once again made it possible to deliver even higher quality NTSC imagery...and then there is analog and digital component standard def, which looks just as good as the HD content on displays that are smaller than 30 inch diagonal.

We will still be improving 720P for a decade or more, using oversampling cameras (both spatial and temporal) to produce higher quality 720P images.

Bottom line, let's stop this endless pursuit of ever higher numbers, and focus on ever higher delivered image quality.

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx