[opendtv] Re: Some results - 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: tsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 19:38:07 +1100

Hans

Do you think the viewing distance would influence the results much. Your
tests were done in the range 3 & 4 picture heights putting the viewer by my
calculation about 1.87 to 2.5 meters from the screen. I wonder how
representative is that of 127cm (50") screen in a consumer's home?
Someone's probably examined this matter.

On the gamma of consumer displays, I think this is Charles Poynton's
favourite subject!

Regards

Terry
Terence J. Smith
Senior Broadcast Engineer
Technical Solutions Team
AUSTAR Entertainment Pty Ltd
(    +612 9394 9888
Ê     +612 9295 0158
È     +614 02 868 288
*       tsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
ý      http://www.austarunited.com.au

             "Hoffmann, Hans"
             <hoffmann@xxxxxx>
             <opendtv-bounce@f         <tsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
             reelists.org>             <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             08/05/2007 13:35                                      Subject
                                       [opendtv] Re: Some results - 1080p
                                       @ 60 is Next?
             Please respond to
             <opendtv@freelist
                  s.org>

Terry,

Very good and correct observation!

There are several reasons - one main reason is perhaps:
I looked into the gamma curve of the two displays and found that at lower
luminance levels between 16 and 64 the LCD provides about 80% more
luminance
than the PDP. Thus, compression artefacts become more visible. Now, we can
start arguing about the right gamma curve for consumer displays.........

Regards,
Hans