[opendtv] Re: Some results - 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 15:25:31 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> I found Hans' full report on the web at:
> http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/trev/trev_308-hdtv.pdf
>
> The full report details how the images were obtained, compressed,
> and displayed. All compression was using MPEG-4 AVC.
>
> I find it very interesting that on consumer 1080p displays,
> 720p50 was preferred over 1080i25, even at the uncompressed
> bitrate.

I didn't get that impression, for uncompressed signals. The quote is:

"In the presentation of uncompressed sequences, the delegates reported
difficulties in seeing difference between the three formats - even at a
viewing distance of 3h. But when the compressed images were shown, the
viewers did notice differences in the visibility of compression
artefacts."

I would like to see someone make the comparison this way:

A complete 720 at 60p chain, from camera to transmission to 720 at 60p
display,

vs.

A 1080 at 60p camera to 1080 at 60i transmission to 1080 at 60p display.

From what Mark Schubin says below, my bet is that the 1080 chain, even
with 1080i transmission, is best. And that's with compression effects
included.