[opendtv] Re: Slim pickins in Gainesville

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:20:19 -0500

At 2:53 PM -0500 11/28/06, Tom Barry wrote:
Hey, I'll be moving to Gainesville next week (probably offline a bit) for my new job. Hopefully HD reception there is not so bad as all that but I'll at least be able to compare with Jax & Detroit. I'm going to be on the North side of town (Northwood Oaks) so maybe I'll even be able to get some Jacksonville stations if I put up a decent outside antenna.

And Craig, hi neighbor. ;-) Is it worth getting Cox cable just for broadband, limited basic. Or are better options available?

Cool!

I had been thinking about coming up to Jax to visit, but now we can get together here. I used to live in Nortwood Pines, which is next to Northwood Oaks.

Heres the "picture."

You will be located less than a mile (east) from the DTT transmitter for PBS. I think it is on a VHF channel. It seems to come it fine on rabbit ears all around town. Cox cable and Channel 20 are right next door, but the channel 20 transmitter and their UHF DTT transmitter are located about 10-12 miles SW of your new home. There should be no problem with this station either. I think the CBS DTT transmitter is located near Newberry, which is about 15 miles WSW. All of these DTT stations are carried by Cox. The FOX transmitters are south near Ocala (20-25 miles.) The DTT service is NOT carried by Cox and I have no idea what the reception characteristics will be.

Cox offers several levels of cable modem service here in Gainseville. I think you can even pay for a static IP address if you want to run a server. The Cox service runs from about 1 Mbps up to 3-5 Mbps. You should also be in an areas served by a Belsouth riser that will let you get DSL service at about 1 Mbps. The Cox basic tier is about 21 channels, which includes two shopping channels, two CPSAN channels and a bunch of broadcasters from Gainesville, Orlando and Jacksonville, TBS and WGN.

To get HD service you will need to subscribe to the digital tier - it will cost about $60/mo. with an HD PVR.

let me know when you get into town and we'll get together.