[opendtv] Re: Sirius Plans Video Service

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 08:59:41 -0800

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 10:08 -0500, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
> I suspect that this category grew at an even faster rate in 2004. My
> daughter and her boyfriend did their part - one drop down LCD panel,
> three headrest displays and a 16:9 screen in the audio head. When we
> gave my daughter her new iBook with an 802.11G WiFi card, her first
> question was whether it would be possible to access the Internet
> while driving.,..

My first question would be where do you live, and remind me never to
take a vacation anywhere near there. :) At least someone on the road
should be paying attention to... driving on the road. Right?

I do a long commute, and I often notice (I would say a minimum of two
per trip) people coasting slowly into other lanes while being
distracted. The only thing stopping them going all the way over are
their shocks -- tires hitting the lane markers, thus 'waking' them up.
Unfortunately sometimes the fast lane has no markers to separate it from
the barrier walls - I've seen someone make this mistake. They usually
have a cell phone in hand, or have something going on the head unit LCD.
After seeing this so many times, I really believe that anything to the
front of the rear passenger should be banned. Either that, or LCDs
should shut off / switch to a cut-down display mode when the car goes
over 5mph. Same thing for GPS - voice-only directions.

Cheers
Kon