[opendtv] Re: Seeing Ghosts on a Single Frequency Network

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 15:41:47 -0600

Ron Economos wrote:

> The Bendov paper was not why I posted that link. Mark Aitken
> had already posted a link to that. I was much more interested
> in Attachment 1, which is a completely "thinking outside the box"
> proposal for next generation digital television.

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7021027035

I had a hard time following that, the first time around at least.

Sounds like, take Ch 38-51. From those create four LTE channels. Use each of
the four LTE channels to offer a mix of services simultaneously,
time-multiplexed -- which, due to the nature of COFDM, will also become
frequency divided.

The mix would incorporate TV broadcast, but also other services, including IP
Multicast downlink, and even the downlink for narrowband two-way service. A new
frame header would be used to identify each of the services carried in each
frame.

I especially liked:

"Above are for Marketing Purpose !"

when discussing spectral efficiency.

One thing is, MIMO techniques work best when the receiver and the transmitter
can negotiate. I'm pretty sure you'll have a hard time achieving the 4X
capacity increase with 4X4 MIMO in a broadcast mode. Sounds like something that
might work in only very confined areas. Of course, more so with 8X8 MIMO.

To a few station groups, this could be a way to get them into a whole other
line of work. Essentially, they could become the spectrum utility that Craig
has advocated.