[opendtv] Re: Scrap OTA?

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 14:03:26 -0800

So at what point would someone (broadcaster, government, etc.) say there
are not enough using OTA to make it worthwhile?  I guess there must still
be enough or the broadcasters wouldn't renew their licenses or keep
transmitting.

Dan

                      Mark Schubin

                      <tvmark@earthlink        To:       opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      .net>                    cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [opendtv] Re: Scrap
OTA?
                      opendtv-bounce@fr

                      eelists.org

                      11/01/2005 01:46

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      opendtv

dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>I'm not serious about suggesting we should scrap OTA broadcasts.
Remember,
>I am one of the millions who's primary source of media is OTA (well, not
>really my primary source, but I do watch some OTA programming).  But the
>way some speak on this forum, it sounds like OTA is a dying transport
>format and it wouldn't hurt anyone if it just went away.
>
>But if the same channels were offered for free over CATV, I would be
>willing to get them off CATV (although I would prefer DBS).  That would
>free up a lot of OTA spectrum.

It frees up spectrum only if you assume the purpose of OTA TV is to get
TV to your house.

My sister-in-law lives in the Colorado Rockies about 50 miles from the
nearest supermarket, with no cable-TV in sight.  Her husband watches OTA
TV.  Satellite?  Not if you're on the wrong side of the mountain.  Free
cable won't help him.

A good friend goes camping with a battery-operated TV.  Free cable won't
help him.

When my cable service dies, I connect my rabbit ears.  Free cable won't
help that, either.

The telephone was reportedly pooh-poohed as a business tool because
businesses had messengers.  Sure enough, messengers can do some of what
a telephone can do.  And free cable can do some of what OTA broadcasting
can do.

TTFN,
Mark

-- Type: image/gif