[opendtv] Re: Samsung Rep admits HDMI won't support 1080p until v.1.3

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 22:57:06 +0100

>  John Golitsis wrote:
>
> At 10mpbs, you can start to see some minor banding in gradients and
> some noise in the darker areas.  I'd certainly call it passable
> though.  The interesting thing is that the degradation in quality is
> very graceful with increased compression.  If anybody wants to take
> look, here's the 1 minute clip at FOUR Mb/s (30MB file).  My Mac
> plays this smoothly with no dropped frames, but my PC is dropping as
> much as 50%.

John,

are you using AVC High profile ?
One of the link provided on this list at a time said it offered a
quality undistinguishable from the original at 16 mbps, and
entertainment level HDTV at 8Mbps.

So it is a bad sign that you see so obvious examples of degradation as
soon a 10 Mbps. To be sure, i don't remember whether the statement was
for 720p or 1080p. But you should be in a favourable case, since your
material has only 720p content anyway.