[opendtv] Re: Samsung Prototype ATSC Receiver Test Report

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:58:27 -0400

Richard Hollandsworth wrote:

> Define "Tuner"......

I assume you are referring to:

> > Since the cost of the NTSC tuner is probably less than
> > $5, I'd say we're getting pretty close to my $35 estimate
> > made ~5 years ago. To which estimate I'm sticking, btw.

With NTSC, it's self explanatory. With ATSC, I've always
predicted the entire receiver, when built into a TV set or
recording device, would cost the consumer about $35 by
1/1/2007 if the transition stayed on track.

So that means, ATSC tuner/demod/MPEG deoder, + the tuner and
additional pieces needed for digital cable.

With the Radio Shack stand-alone box going for $90 today,
and with LG claiming their stand-alone boxes can go for $50
in volume, none of this sounds so impossible anymore, yes?

> And how do you get to a $5 "Tuner" unless future chips
> also absorb the IF section, leaving just the RF &
> Downconverter (if used) in the "Tuner".

I don't know the actual cost impact of an NTSC tuner today.
The $5 was only a guess. I'm saying that if LG claims their
ATSC receiver costs $40 more than an NTSC, perhaps they
mean that the total cost of the ATSC receiver will be $45
by 2007, as opposed to my guess of $35.

The guy from LG was predicting that the ATSC receiver would
cost about the same as the NTSC tuner by the end of the
decade. I expect this is a one-chip or at most a two-chip
design, all told. The royalty costs are probably going to
be the hardest to contain. With that kind of integration and
large volume production, the $35 or $45 cost to consumers
cannot stay that high very long.