[opendtv] Re: Samsung Prototype ATSC Receiver Test Report

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:42:58 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> You.  In 1999 I think.  Don't you work for combat
> systems integration for Boeing naval warfare?

I don't get specific nor does the above suggest
any lack of involvement into things we discuss
here.

But what really gets me is that you ought to be
clever enough to see what is being said, to check
test results or other *primary* sources, to see
over the long term who is BSing and who is not, and
to understand who may have a hidden agenda.

In other words, there is no need to take anyone's
word as if it were gospel, nor to genuflect in front
of anyone. Make up your own mind based on all
sources of information.

Oh, yeah, just incidentally.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/features/news/n_vendors_chip.shtml

was highlighted in Mark's memo this week. In it, you
see:

"Korea-based LG Electronics, which acquired the patent
on 8-VSB when it purchased Zenith in 1999, is another
major player in the DTV chip market. John Taylor, vice
president of public affairs for LG Electronics USA
agrees with Gittings' assessment.

"'The FCC DTV tuner mandate is driving down the cost of
DTV tuners as the economies of scale take hold and as
the volume ramps up in the industry,' Taylor said. 'Our
company believes that by 2007, the cost of a DTV tuner
will only be $40 more than an analog tuner, and by the
end of this decade, costs will be comparable.'"

Since the cost of the NTSC tuner is probably less than
$5, I'd say we're getting pretty close to my $35 estimate
made ~5 years ago. To which estimate I'm sticking, btw.

So, in terms of cost, all this nonsense about
"expensive" is just that. In terms of performance, please
point to any other DTT receiver capable of Brazil E
reception with less than 20 dB of C/N, when set to 3.3
b/s/Hz.