[opendtv] Re: Sampling Frequency of Image Signals

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: openDTV@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 10:21:33 -0700

Is there any development underway to be able to hold and sample on an
individual pixel-sensor basis?  Or will that not help quantization errors?

It seems to me that there could be some gains if the pixels were
individually sampled and then processed digitally.  But perhaps that is not
practical in todays sampling and digital processing world.

Dan Grimes

dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Are there any cameras that are sampling each pixel as they come out of
> the CCD, and then processing in a true native matrix in the digital
> domain?

All CCDs emit analog signals.

> Or is this not recommended, possible, or perhaps practical?

The nature of a CCD precludes quantization on an individual pixel-sensor
basis.

> I would think that if the digitization happened before the compression
> circuit, it would require a large number of bits per sample (or the
> use of a floating point number) to keep the dynamic range of the CCD,
> so perhaps it is not practical at this time.

There is a trade-off between A-to-D bit depth and analog-processor quality.

TTFN,
Mark