[opendtv] Re: SBC Joins the Convergence Crowd

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 20:25:25 -0500

At 2:30 PM -0800 1/4/05, Ralph P. Manfredo wrote:
>There are two reasons for the numerous attempts by both Pacific Bell and
>SBC's failure to get into the video delivery business.
>
>1.  Management is dial tone oriented, and thus they are afraid to provide
>non-dial tone service because they might fail and loose their jobs
>
>2.  They have shareholders who are only interested in profit, so management
>is unwilling to spend the money to get into the video delivery business
>because of the cost which will affect the bottom line.
>
>Until RBOC management gets some intestinal fortitude, they will always be
>bungling a video delivery solution.  They will wake up when the cable
>companies start getting aggressive on offering dial tone to their customers.
>Who knows, we may see the end of the RBOCs when that happens, and it will be
>their own fault.

Or there could be another scenario...

What if it is the tight coupling of content and carriage that is in
danger of extinction?

The telcos have always done best selling bandwidth, not the content
that is carried.

What if content owners are able to bypass all of their existing
distribution "partners" and simply deliver products to consumers via
IP networks. In other words, the consumer just pays for bandwidth,
and they buy content in an open marketplace, not unlike the Internet?

What if the dark fiber that terminates in front of my house suddenly
becomes an "all you can drink bit pipe" for say $50/month?