[opendtv] Re: SBC Joins the Convergence Crowd

  • From: "Ralph P. Manfredo" <rmanfredo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 14:30:00 -0800

There are two reasons for the numerous attempts by both Pacific Bell and
SBC's failure to get into the video delivery business.

1.  Management is dial tone oriented, and thus they are afraid to provide
non-dial tone service because they might fail and loose their jobs

2.  They have shareholders who are only interested in profit, so management
is unwilling to spend the money to get into the video delivery business
because of the cost which will affect the bottom line.

Until RBOC management gets some intestinal fortitude, they will always be
bungling a video delivery solution.  They will wake up when the cable
companies start getting aggressive on offering dial tone to their customers.
Who knows, we may see the end of the RBOCs when that happens, and it will be
their own fault.

Ralph P. Manfredo
President & CEO

rmanfredo@xxxxxxxx

BroadBand Networks Corporation
2530 Berryessa Road, No. 237
San Jose, CA 95132

Phone:  408.988.2060
Fax:       408.988.2188

www.bbnc.com

Leaders in MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 video over ATM and IP Networks