[opendtv] Re: SBC Joins the Convergence Crowd

At 10:06 AM -0800 1/5/05, John Willkie wrote:
>Your frame of reference has no relation to that of Southern Bell.  They
>think in terms of decades, you don't.  By the way, a friend of mine wrote a
>thesis on dark fiber.  The definition a decade ago was deployed fiber unused
>for more than three years.
>
>Do you know of the ILEC's plans?  How many homes are so situated?  What's
>the big picture?
>
>Wanna try again?

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

You said nothing that  changes what I wrote in the earlier message.
There are miles and miles of fiber like this in Gainesville. When
Southern Bell will decide to use them to offer advanced services is
anyone guess. In the meantime we are paying for this infrastructure
via our monthly POTS phone bills.

Its a nice deal if you can get it.

P.S. Bellsouth just doubled the size of the building where my local
switch resides and these fibers terminate. It seems they have some
kind of plan for the future.