[opendtv] Re: SBC Joins the Convergence Crowd

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 07:49:28 -0500

At 8:40 PM -0800 1/4/05, John Willkie wrote:
>I've been telling people for more than 10 years that any argument that uses
>the term "dark fiber" is a non-sequitur, that there is no dark fiber.  There
>certainly is no dark fiber in front of homes.

Hmmm. So exactly what is Southern Bell doing with the fiber that
terminates on the pole in front of my house? It is NOT connected to
ANYTHING; it has been there for more than two years. Our neighborhood
is still using copper lines attached to the pole, with underground
runs to the house.

I think you are dead wrong on this one. There is TONS of dark fiber
in the ground. The telcos can put in a cable with 100 fibers and
light one, then amortize the entire investment.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/dark_fiber.html
  dark fiber
Last modified: Tuesday, May 29, 2001

Dark fiber refers to unused fiber-optic cable. Often times companies
lay more lines than what's needed in order to curb costs of having to
do it again and again. The dark strands can be leased to individuals
or other companies who want to establish optical connections among
their own locations.

In this case, the fiber is neither controlled by nor connected to the
phone company. Instead, the company or individual provides the
necessary components to make it functional.