[opendtv] Re: Remote controls -- where's the outrage?

  • From: Henry Baker <hbaker1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:17:31 -0700

Thanks very much for these details!

However, re $1K cost of an "entertainment" PC, I think that the Chinese
(mainland & Taiwanese) will quickly commoditize this market, and you can
expect prices to be competitive with other CE devices in relatively short
order.  The Chinese have figured out that interoperability will beat
proprietary features every time.  (Note the rise of the Internet, Ethernet,
Linux, over the dead bodies of corporations like Xerox, Digital Equipment,
SUN, etc.)

If the pathetic spasms of the current CE vendors is any gauge, we should
expect additional bloodshed in the stocks of Sony, Philips, Panasonic, etc.