[opendtv] Re: Reason there is no Verizon iPhone

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 16:29:24 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Sorry, but existing iPhone do not support CDMA.

Oh really? Then please do pay attention to these two sites:

http://www.att.com/wireless/iphone//?WT.srch=1

This AT&T site explains that 3G iPhones are now available.

Then, to understand what 3G consists of, please visit this site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G

Specifically, here's a brief quote that tells the story:

"In December 2007, 190 3G networks were operating in 40 countries and 154 HSDPA
networks were operating in 71 countries, according to the Global Mobile
Suppliers Association (GSA). In Asia, Europe, Canada and the USA,
telecommunication companies use W-CDMA technology with the support of around
100 terminal designs to operate 3G mobile networks."

So, in fact, the iPhone does support CDMA today. Because all 3G systems use a
CDMA air interface.

> It may well be true that the differences in 3G networks are
> smaller in the 3G world, but the chips in existing iPhones do
> not support Verizon or China Telecom networks.

This is true, but not because they don't support CDMA. They don't support the
precise flavor of CDMA, and they don't support cell phones that are
**non-GSM**. That's what the typical trade scribes keep getting wrong. It's not
GSM vs "CDMA." It's GSM vs any non-GSM system.

So, what all of this leads to:

> My educated guess is that Apple is trying to get China Telecom on
> board; Verizon may come along for the ride...

There is no "along for the ride." Meeting China Telecom's cellular standard is
not going to get them any closer to meeting Verizon's. All of these systems use
W-CDMA, and the CDMA flavor differences are only part of the story.