[opendtv] Re: Reading between the lines

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 20:01:11 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The reality is that two things are necessary for a reliable alert system:
>
> 1. Reliable RF transmissions from a "hardened" network.
>
> 2. Ubiquitous receivers for these alerts.

And I replied:

> Not long ago, I posted a column by Doug Lung, where he tested just the
> sort of battery-operated TV receivers that would be helpful in cases
> like these. And they work. They work not just for M/H transmissions,
> they also reportedly work for regular ATSC, with the use of simple
> portable antennas. So that part is in place already, or could be with
> no dramatic changes to anything.

Craig:

> One dramatic change would be required:
>
> People would actually have to be interested and buy these portable
> receivers.

If you really want to install a system that is redundant and survivable, then I
repeat: the new portable ATSC receivers would do a good job. Better than
cellular systems. For reasons I already gave.

There is no reason why the ATSC receivers and/or HD Radio receivers(?) cannot
be incorporated into smart phones (and tablets, for that matter), so as to
bypass the cell network in cases like these. Except that, as we already
discussed, the cellcos would much rather their users paid them for any radio or
TV programs, and relied only on their walled garden spectrum.

So, you would rather the FCC actively supported the cellcos' wishes, grabbing
spectrum from the better technical solution, to favor the solution that can
charge more to customers and provide less reliable service during the
emergencies you pretend to be concerned with.

Or maybe the bit about "reliable alert system" was just noise.