[opendtv] Radio Recording For The PC

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient: ;
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 02:08:25 -0500

Ten O'Clock Tech
Radio Recording For The PC
Arik Hesseldahl, 01.19.05, 10:00 AM ET

I've always loved radio. I guess I should qualify that. I've always
loved listening to public radio.

I was 11 years old when National Public Radio aired a serialized
version of George Lucas's Star Wars adapted as a radio play. Star
Wars gave way to The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy which took over
the same time slot, the brilliantly funny British science fiction
farce based on the novels of Douglas Adams.

Perhaps this was part of some programming executive's devious plan,
but that half-hour every Saturday morning in the early 1980s made me
a public radio listener for life.

And each week, I was not only listening, but recording, using the
tape deck in my first stereo. A gift I received over the holidays
triggered these memories: The RadioShark from Griffin Technology.

Shaped like a shark's fin, it's a radio that connects to your
Microsoft Windows-based PC or Apple Computer Macintosh via the USB
port. The sound of the radio programming then plays through your
computer's speakers or through headphones. It tunes in both AM and FM
radio stations.

And using software that comes with it, you can record that
programming directly to your hard drive and even use a timer to
record programs when you're away from the computer, much like you
might do with a VCR or TiVo.

This time-shifted recording is something that radio has needed for
decades. It always baffled me why radio manufacturers never embraced
what to me seemed to be an obvious feature. While recording to
cassette tape directly from the radio became common, it never seemed
to occur to manufacturers to try and figure out a way to start those
recordings using a timer.

http://www.forbes.com/technology/personaltech/2005/01/19/cx_ah_0119tentech.html