[opendtv] Re: RGB mania

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:57:19 -0500

Is this some kind of video virus?

;-)

At 12:11 PM -0500 1/19/05, Philip Hodgetts wrote:
>Blackmagic make 4:4:4 dual link SDI for HD capture fwiw (for FCP and
>for Premiere Pro)
>
>Oh, a small startup calle reel-stream.com are developing (expected
>NAB) a mod for the Panasonic DVX 100 3-chip DV camcorder to pull
>4:4:4 8,10 or 12 bit direclty off the camera head to a USB 2 hard
>drive or laptop computer. It's called Andromeda and is expected to be
>"no more than" the cost of the camera. Other cameras are expected to
>follow the DVX100. If they do the mod to an HDV camcorder that's raw
>HD 4:4:4 for under 10K acquisition cost.
>--
>Philip Hodgetts

Too bad that is would be insensitive to use the "T" word at the moment.

The world of video is being overwhelmed by an avalanche (whoops
that's insensitive too) of bits that has already consumed the would
of digital audio...

Earlier today I mentioned that Luca would be using the new Sony 4:4:4
tape based HD recording system for the next Star Wars. A few hours
later I get this press release from Bluefish 444 and Avid.

Go figure...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Media Contact:
Sharon Adcock, +1.310.545.9731
SkiAdcock@xxxxxxx

BLUEFISH444 ANNOUNCES CO DEVELOPMENT WITH AVID TO CREATE AN
UNCOMPRESSED HD SDI 10 BIT RGB DPX WORKFLOW SOLUTION BETWEEN THE SONY
SRW-5000 VTR & AVID DS NITRIS

January 19, 2005, Bluefish444 (www.bluefish444.com), S. Melbourne,
Australia, announced today that it has collaborated with Avid
Technology, Inc. to create an uncompressed HD SDI 10 bit RGB 4:4:4
DPX workflow solution to transfer uncompressed 10 bit RGB files
seamlessly between the Sony SRW5000 VTR and the Avid(r) DS Nitris(r)
HD finishing system.

Bluefish444's Symmetry software has been developed to accept a
capture log prepared using the Avid DS Nitris EDL Processor Utility
and, in turn, direct the capture of 4:4:4 RGB HD from the dual-link
HD-SDI connections on a Sony SRW-5000 VTR. During capture through
HD|Lust, Symmetry will convert the HD-RGB stream into sequences of
DPX frames which will contain timecode and reel information that can
be used to drive program conform in the Avid DS Nitris system. After
conforming, the Avid DS Nitris system will generate a play-out list
to provide output back to the HDCAM-SR VTR via the HD|Lust and
Symmetry workstation.

The use of Bluefish444's HD|Lust and Symmetry software in a separate
workstation, providing a seamless uncompressed HD SDI 10 bit RGB DPX
workflow between a Sony SRW-5000 VTR and an Avid DS Nitris system,
has been co-developed, tested and qualified by Avid for an upcoming
release of the Avid DS Nitris system scheduled for Q1 2005.

"Bluefish444 has developed the HD|Lust and Symmetry products
specifically as 10 bit uncompressed Digital Intermediate workflow
solutions for both the YUV and RGB color spaces. To have a company
the caliber of Avid co-develop and certify Bluefish444 as an
uncompressed HD SDI 10 bit RGB workflow solution is a vindication of
our product strategy and a credit to our engineers", said Craige
Mott, Managing Director of Bluefish444.

"We are excited about working with Bluefish444 to provide a solution
for working with Sony HDCAM-SR and other HD-RGB 4:4:4 sources," said
Matt Allard, Product Manager for Avid DS Nitris. "HD|Lust and
Symmetry provide an ideal, offboard capture station that, combined
with the new file-based conform capabilities in the Avid DS Nitris
system, makes a great workflow for HD-RGB and DI customers."

Symmetry is a free capture and playback utility with HD | Lust. HD
Lust and Symmetry are available from authorized resellers worldwide.
For more information visit www.bluefish444.com.

About Bluefish444:

Bluefish444 is a division and brand name of Digital Voodoo
(Australia) Pty Ltd, based in Sth Melbourne, Australia.  It is a
leading supplier of uncompressed video cards for the Windows
operating systems. Its video cards are used by a number of OEMs
specializing in broadcast solutions.   By continuing to work with
workstation vendors and resellers, Bluefish444 has made it easier for
end-users to purchase off the shelf Windows based editing, animation
and compositing solutions making sure that the hardware is optimized
for SD and HD solutions.  For more information on Bluefish444, please
visit the Bluefish444 website at www.bluefish444.com.

About Avid Technology, Inc.:

Avid Technology, Inc. is the world leader in digital nonlinear media
creation, management, and distribution solutions, enabling film,
video, audio, animation, games, and broadcast professionals to work
more efficiently, productively, and creatively. For more information
about the company's award-winning products and services, please
visit: www.avid.com.

Avid and Nitris are either registered trademarks or trademarks of
Avid Technology, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries.

Best Regards,
Sharon Adcock
The Adcock Group
PO Box 2017