[opendtv] Re: RGB mania

  • From: "Alan Roberts" <roberts.mugswell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:25:37 -0000

Craig, this is nonsense.

Video transfer characteristic has a "toe" defined by the noise floor of the
amplifiers and adcs, and a "shoulder defined by the clipping level. If that
were the only thing to consider, you'd be mostly right, but most video
cameras use non-linear pre-processing that simulates the "shoulder" response
by compressing highlights, so you effectively get a curve not unlike a film
curve. Notionally, that is straightened out in digits before actual gamma is
applied, but the gamma curve is no more a pure power law than is the overall
curve of film. Power laws are involved, but with offsets and limits.

By the way, have you guys worked out how many angels can dance on the head
of a pin yet? This thread is rapidly getting as interesting and significant
as such a discussion.