[opendtv] Re: Quantegy filed for Chapter 11 Monday

  • From: "Richard L. Hess" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:39:24 -0500

At 09:02 PM 1/12/2005 -0500, John Shutt wrote:
>Things aren't quite that bad in the analog world.  Quantegy was the last
>manufacturer of audio tape in the United States, not the world, as Slashdot
>reported.  AFAIK Maxell still produces reel to reel tape.

I said "professional audio tape in the world" in my original message and
based on a week and a half of conversations on a variety of audio lists and
with people around the world, I think I will continue to stand by it.

My understanding is that while there may be some Maxell reel tape in the
pipelines, they stopped production of reel audio tape about a year ago.
EMTEC (formerly BASF) closed for good in 2004. Capitol Magnetics (which was
Audiotape) has been gone for several years. Zonal has been gone for several
years. As you know, 3M sold their line to Quantegy. And for the one person
out there who doesn't know, Quantegy was spun off from Ampex years ago.

Hanny in Hong Kong/China (and possibly Korea) which made the SuperTape and
Concert Tape for Radio Shack U.S. may still be making some, but it doesn't
fit the bill of "professional." JAI in India makes a red-oxide utility
1/4-inch tape. But my correspondent in India says Indian Nagra users use
Maxell.

Also, Maxell has dropped most of its very-high-quality audio tape cassettes
over the last few years. For example, they still make the XLII but not the
XLIIS as I understand it. There is still a pro cassette tape listed on
their Web site, but no reel tapes on their corporate, U.S., Canadian, nor
Singapore Web sites.

The best hope I have to date is the ATRService.com link I previously posted
(and I have no affiliation with them). The EMTEC coating equipment that
went to the Netherlands is not producing reel tape.

As one member of the Ampex mailing list has been signing his posts for a
few years: reeltapegone

Personally, I don't mind as I do very little recording, and what I do is to
DAT and MD (two other endangered formats).

I am now transferring tapes full time (see http://www.richardhess.com/tape/
) so if any of you have audio tapes that are difficult to play, give me a
shout. I have a new toll-free number as well 1-877-TAPE-FIX (Eastern Time
Zone US/Canada).

Best,

Richard