[opendtv] Re: Qualcomm

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:32:23 -0500

> You continue to think of this as a TV service. I think of it as a
> data broadcast service that also can deliver audio and video streams.

Nope. If you want to quote me do it in context. I continue to correct
those who think it is a viable 'TV'-driven service and that such a
service will propel the network to be adopted by consumers.

> I strongly suspect that the primary use of the new Qualcom network
> will be the delivery of highly targeted subscription-based services.

I think that fact is blatantly obvious, as are the other scenarios you
mention.

> I'm not certain that the phone handset, or the "half-brick" receiver
> are the real end-game here.

Never said they were... just that these markets have a small time window
to get adoped or they tend to go boom like voom. And for the ones with
enough money, they tend to come out with statements like 'we were too
soon to market', and will try the same thing again a few years in the
future.

> They are just one potential venue for mobile data. Vehicles are a
> much better venue in my estimation for several reasons.

No disagreement there...

> Second, we do a great deal of shopping while mobile - you have to
> drive (or walk) to those brick and mortar stores. The availability of
> high quality directory information when mobile could be a very
> important part of commerce in the future.

You're sounding like a dot-com'er with that brick and mortar comment. :)
What shopping besides ringtones do we all do with our cellphones?

> The ability to cache all kinds of information in a vehicle is going
> to happen soon.  Couple this with a decent display (that can be
> viewed when the vehicle is NOT moving ) and you can do many things
> that can be fed by a data broadcast system.

You can already do this. 12v adapters for mini-itx cases and cd changer
adapters for these cases are pretty commonplace, as are the 7" screens
with VGA connectors and touch-screen serial/usb interfaces. Any kid with
a few $ can order the parts and build a box for in-car-entertainment.
There are at least a dozen 'core' free/shareware applications to drive
these car-pcs out there, and a whole lot more in terms of utilities and
addon applications to do anything from syncing RSS feeds to mp3s over wifi.

> Next, you have notebook PCs. Everything is already there, except for
> the receiver, which can easily be integrated, or added on with a
> small module. This is much more important to me than a TV receiver in
> my phone.

Those are useful but people seem to be moving to cheap sub-$300 ITX
boxes with powersupplies that can handle spikes and delayed
shutdown/startup from hibernation mode.

> Now ask yourself this. If you received an alert that this would
> happen, and the ONLY device you had available to tune in was you
> phone, would you not listen?

No, I may well have missed it. Your assumption is that this is a widely
deployed network and it is well-adopted. How would there then be only
one alert? I assume it more to be hundreds of alerts for all manner of
news. Even if you filter the news to just the peterson case, how many
serial alerts would one receive? One for each bit of commentary? How
would you know which is the final verdict, with the jurors not making
decisions for days on end? The only way is to pull your phone out of
your pocket and read every message, and we all know human nature is to
ignore this after a while and read all the messages at a convenient time
-- which puts us right back at your tuning the radio at 4pm scenario.

> Aside from the possibility of projecting video on the windshield, I
> would agree that watching video while driving may not be desirable.

Surely you jest? Driver-side TV is banned in California for a reason.
You're saying its ok to view tv on my windshield and drive with
tunnel-vision? Take me off that highway!

Cheers
Kon