[opendtv] Re: Qualcomm

At 1:15 PM -0500 11/10/04, Kon Wilms wrote:
>Didn't we learn anything from the 'provide the pipe and people will
>come' model of Astro...Cyberstar...Geocast...iBlast...etc? Every few
>years we repeat ourselves. The only thing that changes is the encapsulation.

I disagree. This is a natural extension of what is already happening
with 3G networks and the increasing use of mobile data services. The
media has focused on the notion that the killer app is going to be
delivering video to mobile phones. But this system does far more than
any of the failed businesses that Kon listed above.

- It combines a two-way transactional network with a one-way broadcast network.

- It has a secure conditional access system and the ability to handle
transactions to pay for the bits that are delivered.

- It has local caching in CDMA phones, AND the ability to turn PDAs
and Notebook PCs into receivers via the addition of a receiver
module. The MediaFlo overview makes it clear that they are targeting
subscription services that will be delivered to cache during off-peak
hours. These services will provide additional revenue streams to
existing content franchises. You can bet on the fact that the major
sports leagues are going to develop services that will deliver their
content to this mobile audience - these content owners already
support a variety of data services via 3G networks.

Don't get hung up on the idea that this is a just a mobile cable TV system.

It is about delivering the bits people want when they are on the move.