[opendtv] Re: Qualcomm

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:51:09 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
I asked if they
 > would have watched live TV during such a trip. The answer was quite
 > revealing. The answer would be yes, IF the transmission system does
 > not suffer from the same local availability as radio, which forces
 > constant re-tuning, with no guarantee of program continuity as you
 > move from market to market. This suggests that a mobile DBS receiver
 > might be well accepted, if the technology can deliver signals
 > reliably. But a national system does nothing to deal with the real
 > need for local information when mobile.  perhaps there will be
 > overlays of national and local...

While local content is needed I have never understood why it is needed
by every single channel.  In many ways it would make more sense to have
a few national channels that make no pretense of being local and let
people switch to a local channel when they really want local.  Then we
can find out which one really gets watched most of the time.  I realize
there are politics involved but it might be a useful experiment.

An interesting but impossible twist on this might be a single national
channel that carried ALL the big 4-6 networks in SDTV.  With a modern
codec that could probably be done very nicely on a single ATSC or COFDM
or satellite channel.  And if your car had a PVR with a cheap 250 GB
hard drive in it you could constantly cache the entire most recent 24
hours of ALL national network channels (in SDTV) plus a few saved shows.
  Of course to do this would likely be illegal, immoral, and impossible
to negotiate for various reasons.  But the technology is probably not
what's stopping it.

- Tom