[opendtv] Re: Qualcom OFDM networks with MediaFlo

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:32:20 -0500

At 10:19 AM -0500 11/12/04, Kon Wilms wrote:

>Travel LCDs are usually never bigger than 7 inches diagonally (the
>limitation here is the headrest or flipdown panel and those are not
>going to change anytime soon -- well unless the next Navigator or Land
>Barge makes it to market). Given that we watch 720x480 on up to 35" tv
>sets, why would we need 640x480 on a 7 inch headrest monitor anywhere
>from 3 to up to 8 ft away.

General agreement here.

But drop down LCD panels in the 12-15" diagonal range are now
commonplace. I know because my daughter's Tahoe now has a 16:9
display in the console (the CD/DVD/Radio player head), a drop down
15" 4:3 screen for the second row, and 7" LCDs in the headrests and
passenger visor. And then there's the PS2 mounted under the console
that can be routed to the displays.

I would not underestimate the importance of the mobile media venue.
What is most important is that we start thinking like teenagers -
they are the consumers who will turn these new venues into profit
centers instead of pipe dreams.

As for video quality, a huge amount of what is delivered to consumers
today via DBS and cable, is 1/2 D-1 (352 x 240 @ 60 video fields).
320 x 240 @ 30 frames is not much different on a small screen - maybe
even better, if the source is optimized for progressive display.