[opendtv] Re: Qualcom OFDM networks with MediaFlo

  • From: Mark Aitken <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:25:43 -0500

The video is more than "barely watchable", and I am certain that
everyone who has seen it would state the same. Here are their testimonials:
"WOW!"

"Holy cow!"

"I want one!"

"Where can I get one?"

"Now that is what I call portable!"

"Is that HD?"
(actually, I made that one up ;-)

I needed a consumer friendly solution that my son could manage without
supervision...this works. And the picture quality is surprisingly good
(based on your remarks/expectations, even more so!).

Kon Wilms wrote:

>Right, so I was correct, and you were just waving your hands.
>
>WMV8 @ 386Kbits in 640x480@30fps is something you would not want to
>watch, even on a 3.7" screen. The same bitrate video at 320x240 is
>barely watchable.
>
>MY defined video needs are that the video is at least watchable, and I
>can sort of make out the shapes of people's faces -- not watch bouncing
>macroblocks. I think that is a fairly realistic expectation.
>
>Why pay for some pocket dvd wizard that just encapsulates windows media
>encoder when you can get virtualdub-mpeg2 and wme for free?
>
>Cheers
>Kon
>

>>You can believe me. But you have now put forward an expectation that was
>>not revealed earlier, so I can understand your disbelief. 1:32 length,
>>WMAudio 9.1 (48kbps, 32kHz, stereo), WMV V8, 386Kbps. You did not state
>>specific requirements for the VGA video, you have now applied specific
>>requirements for YOUR defined video needs that were not shared in the
>>earlier statements on the subject.
>>Go to: http://www.pocket-dvd-wizard.com/ for more details...
>>
>>In the end, it is all about what is acceptable for a given set of needs,
>>isn't it?
>>
>>Kon Wilms wrote:
>>

>>>2 hours of WMV at 640x480/30fps in 256Mb with a decent bitrate (>500)
>>>and >64kbit audio? I'll believe that when I see it. In fact, I flat out
>>>do not believe you.
>>>
>>>My statement is based on a 400Mhz ARM having troubles decoding 320x240
>>>WMV video at anything over a few hundred kbits. Even a 600Mhz celeron
>>>falls over and skips frames on 640x480 wmv.
>>>
>>>Travel LCDs are usually never bigger than 7 inches diagonally (the
>>>limitation here is the headrest or flipdown panel and those are not
>>>going to change anytime soon -- well unless the next Navigator or Land
>>>Barge makes it to market). Given that we watch 720x480 on up to 35" tv
>>>sets, why would we need 640x480 on a 7 inch headrest monitor anywhere
>>>

>>>from 3 to up to 8 ft away.

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken Director, Advanced Technology

***********************************
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425
Business FAX: (410) 568-1580
E-mail: maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
Text PAGE: page.maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
www.newscentral.tv
www.sbgi.net
===================================
"There never was a good war
or bad peace...."

~ ~ ~ Benjamin Franklin ~ ~ ~
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain
confidential information intended only for the person(s) to whom this
email message is addressed.  If you have received this email message in
error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or email and
destroy the original message without making a copy.  Thank you.