[opendtv] Re: Qualcom OFDM networks with MediaFlo

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:44:36 -0500

> No, more like the other way around. What do they use
> for a link layer? How do they synchronize their
> frames? They must have something under IP.

Ofcourse, but its all moot because the service protocol is IP.

An evolution of http://www.qualcomm.com/technology/1xev-do/ip.html

> being, there's nothing earth shattering about
> making everything IP-encapsulated. By itself, that's
> not such a big deal. What's important is that
> every frame be recognizable and that the system
> support the types of data flows they want to
> provide. By itself, IP encapsulation doesn't
> explain how this is done. For some flows, IP
> encapsulation is not much more than unnecessary
> overhead.

Actually it is a pretty big deal. This is not your standard BSD TCP
stack stuffed on top of a packet link layer. They have been refining
this for years, with a number of variations on the theme to fix latency
and implosion problems amongst other things. You can find a lot of this
information online if you're curious.

IP makes sense if you want your network to connect to other IP networks.
And I would think this would make total sense for deploying all sorts of
IP networks with little to no headaches for service providers, even
moreso those that want to create bridge devices (stock data
distribution, voip bridging, emergency services, portable media centers,
etc.).

Cheers
Kon