[opendtv] Re: Qualcom OFDM networks with MediaFlo

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:08:33 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>Bob Miller wrote:
>

>>First this is an overlay network that works with
>>current carrier CDMA networks. They are not
>>proposing to build both a COFDM and CDMA network.
>>

>If you are at liberty to divulge this info, I'd
>like to hear more detail about what "overlay" means.

No I mean they are probably going to build a one way national broadcast
network period. This should work with any carrier that already has a
CDMA network for cellular. There will be no CDMA in the 6 MHz.

>For example, are you saying that they will use the
>entire 6 MHz band for the cdma2000, then "overlay"
>COFDM on top?
>

>>Second they are limited to 50 kW so if that is big
>>stick it is but I would think big stick high power
>>starts at 200 kW and over.
>>

>With more detail, we could do some predictions about
>coverage.

I don't think they have figured a lot of this out. Like I said before
how do they do a national SFN and deliver any quantity of local content.
If they have local SFNs they then have to have large areas around that
SFN with no coverage at all. Any local content would have to be
delivered nationally. You can do this with traffic and weather if it is
all in minimal code but beyond that it would get dicey.

Bob Miller