[opendtv] Re: Q on digital OTA broadcasts

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 11:44:39 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> My general policy is to boycott products that support
> non-mandatory copy protection features since other competing
> products will likely not have those restrictions and I hate
> to encourage that sort of thing.

Yes indeed, I've come to that conclusion myself. Since I see absolutely
no reason why recording to a PVR's hard drive should *ever* be
prevented, although I do accept that making multiple generation copies
could legitimately be prevented, I am put off by the note in the Philips
manual about copy protection. So I'll be checking other product specs to
see what they say.

> That said, anytime on AVS I've seen posts about extra copy
> protection appearing on OTA broadcasts a few calls to the
> station were usually enough to get it changed, eventually.

I've been down that road too. The trouble is, you talk to one station's
engineering department, maybe they resolve the problem, and then another
station starts the same practice. That's how it happened here. First
NBC, then Fox and UPN, then CBS, etc. The result was that I couldn't
ever trust my recording sessions, until I stopped using the Philips'
internal NTSC tuner, that is.

I'd rather buy gear that is less gung-ho about meeting the demands of
others, and more interested about meeting the demands of their
customers? Makes sense, no? (Aggravation speaking here.)